By Ann Brower Stahl
A landmark creation to the archaeology of Africa that demanding situations misconceptions & claims approximately Africa’s prior and teaches scholars easy methods to evaluation those claims.
- Provides an unheard of and fascinating advent to the archaeology of Africa
- Challenges misconceptions & claims approximately Africa’s prior and teaches scholars how one can review those claims
- Includes a considerate advent that explores the contexts that experience formed archaeological wisdom of Africa's past
- Lays out examine questions that experience formed the contours of African archaeology
- Comprised of chapters particularly written for this quantity via well known archaeologists with local and topical expertise
Read or Download African archaeology : a critical introduction PDF
Similar archaeology books
A complete creation to Australian Aboriginal rock paintings through a well-known authority within the box. The island continent of Australia includes the most important non-stop account of human inventive expression. the newest findings at the antiquity of Aboriginal artwork proceed to make front-page information as claims and counterclaims allure overseas awareness.
The query of ways sleek human behaviour emerged from pre-human hominid behaviour is vital to discussions of human evolution. this crucial ebook argues that the skill to take advantage of symptoms in a symbolic approach, pointed out by means of the authors as language, is the root for behaviour that may be defined as human.
Americanist tradition heritage reprints thirty-nine vintage works of Americanist archaeological literature released among 1907 and 1971. The articles, during which the major suggestions and analytical suggestions of tradition historical past have been first outlined and mentioned, are reprinted, with unique pagination and references, to augment using this assortment as a learn and instructing source.
This paintings sticks out one of the current flood of monographs and ex-dissertations on Sarapis, Isis and different oriental deities, customarily released in M. Vermaseren's hospitable Études préliminaires aux religions orientales dans l'Empire romain, via cause either one of its bulk and of the complexity and trouble of the topic.
- Museum Gallery Interpretation and Material Culture
- Digging for Richard III: How Archaeology Found the King
- A sacrificial mass burial at Miramar, Chiapas, Mexico
- Digging for dollars: American archaeology and the New Deal
- Dynamics of Learning in Neanderthals and Modern Humans Volume 2: Cognitive and Physical Perspectives
Additional resources for African archaeology : a critical introduction
Cohen, David William, and E. S. Atieno Odhiambo, 1989 Siaya: The Historical Anthropology of an African Landscape. London: James Currey. Comaroff, John, and Jean Comaroff, 1992 Ethnography and the Historical Imagination. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. Connah, Graham, 1998 Static Image: Dynamic Reality. In Transformations in Africa. Essays in Africa’s Later Past. Graham Connah, ed. pp. 1–13. London: Leicester University Press. David, Nicholas, and Judy Sterner, 1999 Wonderful Society: The Burgess Shale Creatures, Mandara Polities and the Nature of Prehistory.
Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press. , 1994 The Idea of Africa. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. , 1989 Excavations at Aksum: An Account of Research at the Ancient Ethiopian Capital Directed in 1972–4 by the Late Dr. Neville Chittick. London: British Institute in Eastern Africa. Murdock, George Peter, 1959 Africa: Its Peoples and their Culture History. New York: McGraw Hill. Neale, Caroline, 1985 Writing “Independent” History: African Historiography, 1960–1980. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
In A History of African Archaeology. Peter Robertshaw, ed. pp. 252–70. London: James Currey. , and Donald H. Avery, 1978 Complex Iron Smelting and Prehistoric Culture in Tanzania. Science 201:1085–1089. , and Roderick J. , 1996 Plundering Africa’s Past. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. , and Thomas C. , 1995 Making Alternative Histories: The Practice of Archaeology and History in Non-Western Settings. Sante Fe: School of American Research Press. Shaw, Thurstan, 1967 Resolutions on Terminology.